1. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often...
2. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often...
- Swear at you, insult you, put you down, or humiliate you?
- Act in a way that made you afraid that you may be physically hurt?
3. Did an adult or person at least 5 years older than you ever...
- Push, grab, slap, or throw something at you?
- Ever hit you so hard that you had marks or were injured?
4. Did you often or very often feel that...
- Touch you or fondle you or have you touch their body in a sexual way?
- Attempt or actually have oral, anal or vaginal intercourse with you?
5. Did you often or very often feel that you...
- No one in your family loved you or thought you were important or special?
- Your family didn't look out for each other, feel close to each other, or support each other?
6. Were your parents ever separated or divorced?
- Didn't have enough to eat, had to wear dirty clothes, and had no one to protect you?
- Your parents were too drunk or high to take care of you or take you to the doctor if you needed?
7. Was you mother or stepmother:
8. Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcoholic or who used street drugs?
- Often or very often pushed, grabbed, slapped, or had something thrown at her?
- Sometimes, often, or very often kicked, bitten, hit with a fist, or hit with something hard?
- Ever repeatedly hit at least a few minutes or threatened with a gun or knife?
9. Was a household member depressed or mentally ill, or did a household member attempt suicide?
10. Did a household member go to prison?
The more or better you have processed these things the better?? Maybe only by writing about it?
And as it stands on the ACE-site:
"It's not just water
under the bridge.
ACEs are surprisingly
common among people of
all social strata, and have
consequences. For many
people, it's not possible to
'just get over it'."