torsdag 10 januari 2008

Close Every Door by Andrew Lloyd Webber...

[updated in the evening]. Wanted to share this song. From a musical about Joseph and the Nazi-concentration camps, I think... One of our students is going to sing it. Got the music yesterday. Didn't know abut this musical "Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat" earlier.

Close Every Door.

Close every door to me, hide all the world from me
Bar all the windows and shut out the light
Do what you want with me, hate me and laugh at me
Darken my daytime and torture my night

If my life was important I
Would ask will I live or die
But I know the answers lie far from this world

Close every door to me, keep those I love from me
Children of Israel are never alone
For I know I shall find my own peace of mind
For I have been promised a land of my own.

CHILDREN
Close every door to me, hide all the world from me
Bar all the windows and shut out the light

La la la la la la (REPEAT)

JOSEPH
Just give me a number instead of my name
Forget all about me and let me decay
I do not matter
I'm only one person
Destroy me completely then throw me away

If my life were important I
Would ask will I live or die
But I know the answers lie far from this world

Close every door to me keep those I love from me
Children of Israel are never alone
For we know we shall find our won peace of mind
For we have been promised a land of our own."

About this musical at Wikipedia. There it stands:

"Act I

The story is based on the Biblical story of Joseph, found in the book of Genesis. It is set in a frame in which a narrator is telling a story to children, encouraging them to dream. She then tells the story of Joseph, another dreamer ('Prologue,' 'Any Dream Will Do'). In the beginning of the main story Jacob and his 12 sons are introduced ('Jacob and Sons'). Joseph's brothers are jealous of him for his coat, a symbol of their father's preference of him ('Joseph's Coat'). It is clear from Joseph's dreams that he is destined to rule over them ('Joseph's Dreams'). To get rid of him and make the dreams not come true, they sell him as a slave to some passing Ishmaelites ('Poor, Poor Joseph'), who in turn take him to Egypt.

Back home, his brothers, accompanied by their wives, break the news to Jacob that Joseph has been killed; they show his tattered coat smeared with his blood – it is really goat blood – as proof that what they say is true ('One More Angel in Heaven'). In most productions, one brother, Reuben, usually sings the solo; the song often segues into a celebratory hoedown after the bereft Jacob has tottered off the stage.

In Egypt, Joseph is the slave of Egyptian millionaire Potiphar. He rises through the ranks of slaves and servants until he is running Potiphar's house. When his master's wife makes advances, Joseph spurns her. Potiphar overhears, barges in, sees the two together – and jumps to conclusions. He jails Joseph ('Potiphar'). Depressed, Joseph sings Close Every Door – but his spirits rise when he helps two prisoners put in his cell. Both are former servants of the Pharaoh and both have had bizarre dreams. Joseph interprets them. One cellmate, the Baker, will be executed, but the other, the Butler, will be returned to service ('Go, Go, Go Joseph').

Act II

The Narrator talks about impending changes in Joseph's fortunes ('A Pharaoh Story') because the Pharaoh is having dreams that no-one can interpret. Now freed, the Butler tells Pharaoh (acted in the style of Elvis Presley) of Joseph and his dreams interpretation skills ('Poor, Poor Pharaoh'). Pharaoh orders Joseph to be brought in and the king tells him his dream involving seven fat cows, seven skinny cows, seven healthy ears of corn, and seven dead ears of corn ('Song of the King'). Joseph interprets the dream as seven plentiful years followed by seven years of famine ('Pharaoh's Dreams Explained'). An astonished Pharaoh puts Joseph in charge of carrying out the preparations needed to endure the impending famine, and Joseph becomes the most powerful man in Egypt, second only to the Pharaoh ('Stone the Crows'). In the 2007 London revival, Pharaoh has a new song (King of my Heart).

Back home, the famine had caught up with Joseph's brothers, who, led by the brother Simeon, express regret at selling him and deceiving their father ('Those Canaan Days'). They hear Egypt has food and decide to go there to beg for food and mercy, not realizing whom they will be dealing with ('The Brothers Come to Egypt'). Joseph gives them food and sends them on their way, but plants a golden cup into the sack of his brother Benjamin ('Grovel, Grovel'). When the brothers try to leave, Joseph stops them, asking about the 'stolen cup'. Each brother empties his sack, and it is revealed that Benjamin has the cup. Joseph then accuses Benjamin of robbery ('Who's the Thief?'). The other brothers, though, beg for mercy for Benjamin, imploring that Joseph take them prisoner and set Benjamin free ('Benjamin Calypso').

Seeing their unselfishness and penitence Joseph reveals himself ('Joseph All the Time') and sends for his father. The two are reunited ('Jacob in Egypt') for a happy conclusion. The show ends with two songs ('Finale: Any Dream Will Do (Reprise)/Give Me My Coloured Coat'), and for curtain call in some big productions, a rock/disco medley of most of the musical's major numbers ('Joseph Megamix')."

The Official homesite dedicated to the musicals by Andrew Lloyd Webber here.

Andrew Lloyd Webbers homesite. And about him at wikipedia.

Inga kommentarer: